Wednesday, April 27, 2005

How would you want to be remembered?

Once we're born, we start dying.
Our innocence robbed, crushed and broken.
Our realities sinks in, our youth forgotten.
Our skin gets drier and drier until it becomes crinkly.
Our eyesight gets dimmer and dimmer till we require LASIK eye surgery.
Our hair starts to fall out. And our bones start to brittle.
It takes some average seventy years before we reach "Withering Heights".
Dying is just a long drawn out process.

Most people choose family and babies. Achieving that dream career. Writing a book. Finding spiritual solace. Abundance in wealth.
And even shooting a film.
Just to feel complete in their lifetime.

Tombstones and epitaphs often provide us with mere templates:
" Loving person" or "Caring Husband/Wife" that doesn't distinguish us from anyone else.
We can't possibly be remembered that way. Unless we build ourselves monuments or statues.
We strive for things that we can't achieve: Being billionaires, loving parents whom our kids look up to, flicker of happiness.

It is the sudden realisation that our lives don't make any sense.
Happiness don't last. Our money goes to taxes for meaningless JKR beautifications, the young generation swear back at us.

We should be spending time with loved ones, planning how best to leave our mark. We should enjoy the company of our friends while we're in our prime. Friends and family.

I just want people to remember me as the guy with the smirk ,highly spirited in believing that all things are achievable.
" It's alright, everything is great."
Modest but achievable.

So how would you like to be remembered?

-----
Read also :

Dodo

3 comments:

houng said...

I don't know how I want to be remembered, but even if I do, it probably will change as I grow older. That aside, great post! Actually, what I want to do with my life is achieve everything you've written in the 2nd paragraph. No, seriously, I had always had those things on my list.

Trystan said...

I'm glad that this post opens up serious discussion of the reason of our existence. My point exactly,most people are just out there persuing their immortality.
We switch on the numb box(tv) and see movies and reality shows doing all the same-seeking immortality. It's all about Donald Trump's next apprentice to Dr. Phil writing his next book.
Some thru writings of fictional characters,often Mary Sues which pleases both the author and the reader.

Simon said...

i am not sure how i want to be remembered. probably mmu student who commited suiside then being in the spotlight for a week then slowly, the memory of me slowly fading in time. after my old man dies, i'm not sure anyone can recall i ever existed.